website security

Ask The Doc A Question!


I know I've read about fillers that are used to smooth a rough subfloor. What types and/or brands do you recommend?


Dear Dave

You can only fill a concrete subfloor, with special compounds made just for this purpose. Check out http://www.quikrete.com, they have been in the concrete patching business for many years now. Stay away from any gypsum based compounds. They will fail.

But if it's a wooden subfloor (you didn't say) I'm not sure what you mean by rough. Please tell me what it is made of and how thick it is and what kind of hardwood floor you intend to install on top of it.

You may also find these articles helpful:

1. Plank Floor: What Special Considerations This Type Of Floor Raises

2. Avoiding Squeaks And Pops When Nailing Down A New Strip Floor

3. Hydronic heating under your wood floors

4. How To Repair A Hardwood Floor For D.I.Y

5. How To Take Care Of Your Health And Safety when Installing, Finishing, Repairing or Cleaning your wood floors